Saturday, January 24, 2009

Precious Things

"Making the decision to have a child- it’s momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body." -Elizabeth Stone

How profound...how true, how honest and oh, how I am feeling lately.

As you have probably guessed, it's Carissa writing this update... thought it was my turn for a change! Im feeling overwhelmed with love for my children today. I always love them; but for some reason I am feeling a love that is almost overwhelming these past few days. Not sure why. Maybe it's because I see Mia - who is almost 6 months old - practically sitting up all by herself, easily getting her thumb in her mouth, laughing, and really, really "seeing" me. The look in her eyes when I walk into the room - would make any one melt. Her smile. Oh my. Her smile could and does change my day. And, maybe it's because Nick is getting to a point where he is Mr. Independence. He can get his own shoes on, his jacket, brush his teeth, go to the bathroom and talk to me like he is just another "human" in the room. He tells me freely that he loves me, when he is thirsty, what he wants me to pick him up "special" from the grocery store. He senses sarcasm, he tells jokes, he asks question after question. So innocent and curious. The other day, I asked him if it was okay if I could hug him and love on him til he was like 15 years old. He looked at me, like, "duh, mommy. Yeah!" I then, proceeded to giggle and ask him if I could stand with him at the bus stop or drop him off in front of his high school class room, (knowing full well that those things are not/will not happen when he is 16ish...) and he said, "yes, and you can come and eat lunch with me too." LOVE. This whole conversation is happening as he is sitting on my lap and I am kissing the absolute heck out of his cheeks! I think I am feeling what a lot of young mom's feel when they see their little angels growing up. I know I am now understanding how Grandma's and Aunts and even perfect strangers tell me "enjoy every minute, they grow so fast." and yes, I would nod my head, my poor sleep deprived head, and smile saying, "Ya, I know." And then I would rush about like a marathoner, (not in a marathoner's body, mind you) trying to get my toothpaste at Target, or get my laundry put away, or do whatever my crazy day was telling me to get done. I think those words are finally sinking in. Finally. I see my babies growing and I am so thankful for their health, their beauty and their unconditional love that I could lift a car, or run that marathon.

Many of you have emailed or asked me how Nick has been feeling lately. Good news to report (and I apologize for not updating on this sooner). The good news is that there is no news. He is growing well - he gained a few pounds - now weighing in at 42 pounds. This is the first weight he has gained in over a year. He continues to have the night sweats - so we still watch him closely for that. Our friend's father is a pediatric endocrinologist and we may be contacting him for further opinions. I will make sure to update on this as we continue working with Nick. Also, many of you have asked for more "meat and potatoes" and not as much "fluff" I appreciate that feedback. I tend to just highlight the best parts of the week -- but usually leave out some of the other things, and hardly ever write about Dave or myself. Good point! I will also try to include some interesting tid bits on the "Mommy and Daddy" front.

We have had a very busy week of playdates, job searching, and spring semester started for David. I am looking forward to my "last week" of life before our organized chaos begins and I become full time stay at home mommy. I am really excited about having my Nick home with me. I am working out lots of fun activities for us - and I know Mia will love having him here with us.

So - for now, that is all to report. I will take some time later this weekend to update photos and our highlights from this past week. I have some really cute pictures to post. But, for now I have got to get into my kitchen and clean up our mess. We have company coming for dinner and gotta get rolling on the din-din.

Thanks as always for reading our blog. It means a great deal to us. Please feel free to comment on the site if you feel compelled. I love reading your comments and appreciate all the feedback you have given me on making it more enjoyable to read.

Have a great Saturday!

No comments: